[ut2004] Help? 64 bit linux client and poor fps.

Clint Goudie-Nice clint at magicalspirits.net
Thu Nov 25 20:27:57 EST 2004

I've now recompiled my kernel, listing agpgart from character devices as
a module instead of compiled into the kernel. Then in my modprobe.conf
I've added alias agpgart off to make sure it doesn't load. Now I've
booted with that configuration, resintalled the nvidia driver, added
Option      "NvAGP" "1" to the device section of my xorg.conf file, and
a dmesg |grep agp doesn't list agpgart starting anymore.

In my /var/log/messages after starting X I can now see:

Nov 25 18:10:24 prometheus kernel: NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86_64
NVIDIA Kernel Module  1.0-6629  Wed Nov  3 11:43:48 PST 2004

And it doesn't complain at all about agpgart being loaded first and
hence unable to load nvidia's agp like it would if I tried this line
with it compiled inline as the FC3 Distro has it.

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/host-bridge
Host Bridge:     PCI device 1106:3188
Fast Writes:     Supported
SBA:             Supported
AGP Rates:       8x 4x
Registers:       0x1f000a1b:0x00000000

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card
Fast Writes:     Supported
SBA:             Supported
AGP Rates:       8x 4x
Registers:       0x1f000e1b:0x00000000

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

AGP initialization failed, please check the ouput
of the 'dmesg' command and/or your system log file
for additional information on this problem.

greps of /var/log/messages and dmesg for agp (case insense) say nothing.

Interestingly enough I fired up my ut2004 after this, and found that I
am getting _exactly the same fps_ I was getting with agpgart running...
hmm... Makes me think that the driver isn't using agpgart at all, even
when it is running.

So what else do I have to do to get nvidia's agp to load?