Help? 64 bit linux client and poor fps.

Clint Goudie-Nice clint at magicalspirits.net
Wed Nov 24 15:49:33 EST 2004

Greetings all, I'm wondering if ya-all can help me out with my fps on my
client.

Looking over large complex scenes causes huge drops in fps, down into
the teens on my Geforce 5950 ultra. The odd thing is, turning down my
settings from high/highest to normal and turning off all the checkboxes
in the video tab and decreasing the fog distance, and there is no
noticeable change in fps.

Also, oddly, changing from 32 to 16 bit and reducing the video
resolution tends to _decrease_ my fps, and decreasing video resolution
decreases fps.

It's almost like the pipeline to the video card has been limited...

I've played with tons of the settings in my user's UT2004.ini to no
avail.

I'm fairly convinced that the DesiredRefreshRate= setting in the opengl
section is broken, as it doesn't seem to have any effect.

These same scenes are zippy in 32bit windows.. :(

Is there anyone out there who has found some magic setting that speeds
things up?

This was with Fedora Core 3 x86_64, (IE: 2.6.9 kernel), the latest
nvidia drivers (1.0-6629), a 256mb Geforce 5950 Ultra, and 1gb of
physical ram.

Clint