[ut2004] missing eyecandy with openGL?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Mon Mar 29 06:06:22 EST 2004

> So, um, is this actually going to be added in a patch in the future or
> is UT2004 linux just doomed to be a step behind?

Headlights (well, dynamic lighting in general) will be in the next
patch. I disabled dynamic lights, regardless of what the options menu
says, right before going gold because of a nasty rendering bug, which
has since been fixed. This is true on Mac and Linux.

Detailed shadows will hopefully make it into a later patch. The reason
we don't have them is because the render-to-texture GL extensions all
suck. However, recent SDL versions hide a lot of the nastiness, so it
might make it into the game...no promises yet, though, as it might take
a lot of work in OpenGLDrv in spite of SDL's additions.

> Suddenly id looks that much better for coding opengl start to finish :-)

First person who says ut2004 uses a "Direct3D to OpenGL wrapper" gets a
boot in the ass.

--ryan.