[ut2004] No love with linux installer

Fred Richards tech at geexology.org
Fri Mar 19 20:59:07 EST 2004

Sean,

  I posted on this mailing list asking about the DVD version, but all
our local retailers were out, so I bought the 6 CD version.  I installed
it sucessfully on a slackware 9.1 box with 2.6.4.  You do need to mount
the cdroms.  I put in the install CD, and ran it as root (I actually was
running X as a normal user, started up an Xnest just for root to install
this.)  It did give me a problem on about the 3rd cd... but when I
started the process over again (from the beginning) it worked fine.  Now
I do have 2 drives (a dvd+rw and a dvdrom), I kept the install CD
mounted in the dvdrom drive and followed a pattern of letting it
install, then unmount, swap CDs and remount.  I don't know if anyone
were to have luck with a machine with 1 cd/dvdrom drive.

 Other than that, works perfect, I just played it for quite a while, it
rocks.  Also, it did lock up hard on me, I cranked *all* the graphics
options to the highest and I think I made my 64 meg gf3 ti200 video card
cry.  :)  Putting most to normal and only a handful to "high" fixed
it... just played it for hours.

                                                                     -- Fred