[ut2004] More slow new maps

Rick B zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jul 29 00:40:24 EDT 2004

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

>>       A while back I posted a question about the much slower than usual
>>performance I expierienced while playing the new map Valarna. Now I've
>>been playing more new maps with the same problem, a much slower than
>>usual fps performance. Does anybody know why this is happening? I have
>>noticed a number of new files showing up in my ~/.ut2004/System with the
>>filetype being ".ucl" and ~/.ut2004/Cache with the ".uxx" filetype,
>>could these be going to the wrong folder and causing this slowdown?
>>Should I move them to somewhere in the /usr/local/games/ut2004 directory?
>>

>Could these be poorly-optimized maps that could benefit from more VAR?
>
>Look for "VARSize" in your .ini and up it from 32 to 64, see if it
>helps.
>
>--ryan.

That's pretty much the question I've been asking myself. I was wondering
if these maps weren't just poorly designed, and somehow just won't play
as fast as a well designed map. But, since my knowledge of that subject
is pretty much non-existent, I just didn't know. My VARsize is already
64, and my processor is Athlon 2500 oc'ed to 2104mhz. I wouldn't have
thought twice about it if it was just Valarna, but I'm running into more
of them. I have my detail settings set to where I get about 50-60 fps on
normal games, but when I play these games it will drop to 20-25fps. As
far as the .ucl and .uxx files in my home directory, I guess that's
normal, as I did install ut2004 in /usr/local/games. From now on I will
start keeping track of them and post them on the list to see if anyone
else notices the same problem.

                Rick B