[ut2004] ut2004 on linux PPC?

Thomas Otto 3.1415926535897932384626433832 at gmx.net
Fri Apr 23 22:41:55 EDT 2004

> The only way this is going to happen is if there's financial motivation
> (i.e. - a licensee says they need a port for their backend servers,
> etc).

IBM is sortof pushing Linux on PPC, see e.g.
<http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/linux/power/> or
<http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-pmac.html>
(disregard that debian scored so low ;-), yet their commercial interest
is server side naturally (well, they produce these CPUs) and these are
not exactly sold to run gameservers.
I don't have much hope that the x86 era on the Desktop is over soon
(despite the "Xbox2-with-3-PPCs" rumours), but maybe Apple will one day
understand that Linux on Macs doesn't really compete with OS X but
rather makes Macs more attactive to geeks and sortof support Linux i.e.
make their 3rd party hardware suppliers relese specs. Or IBM starts
selling PPC desktops (like Pegasos with Amiga OS4, RIP) and maybe one
day there will be 3D support on this platform ...well, going OT there :)

My 2 ¢.

    -Thomas