[ut2004] ut2004 on linux PPC?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Fri Apr 23 12:44:36 EDT 2004

> What about a dedicated server port without the renderer then?  It would
> be nice to load this up on a POWER4/5 box.  The guy next to me handles
> testing Linux on the p-Series hardware here (IBM Austin).  I bet we
> could convince a manager to leave up a server for "technology demo"
> purposes.  Give us a PPC64 server build, and I'll run it on a 32-proc box.

Between x86 Linux and MacOS X, it would probably be harder for me to get
PPC linux installed than it would be to actually do the port, but
honestly, it's a slippery slope: once I do this I'll get flooded with
demands for alpha and sparc and gameboy ports.

More importantly, the upkeep is already a nightmare: patches for x86
Linux, amd64 Linux, MacOS X, and Win64 is already a lot to juggle
without adding another batch of binaries to the mix.

The only way this is going to happen is if there's financial motivation
(i.e. - a licensee says they need a port for their backend servers,
etc).

As for 32 CPUs: the dedicated server is single threaded.  :)

--ryan.