[ut2004] ut2004 on linux PPC?

J. Ryan Earl heretic at clanhk.org
Fri Apr 23 11:54:02 EDT 2004

Thomas Otto wrote:

>> Is there a chance the above is going to happen?
>> I don't even know if there are decent OpenGL drivers for Linux
>> PowerPC, but I was toying with the idea of buying a powerbook. So
>> could I play on that with my favourite OS?
>

> No chance - even if Ryan compiles it on Linux/PPC, the best OpenGL
> iimplementation for that platform is IIRC for 7500+ class Radeon cards
> based on specs ATI released quite a while ago (my iBook G3 has such a
> card and quake2 is playable). OpenGL with Nvidia cards is a total
> no-go for Linux/PPC despite the quality x86 CSS drivers from this
> company.

What about a dedicated server port without the renderer then?  It would
be nice to load this up on a POWER4/5 box.  The guy next to me handles
testing Linux on the p-Series hardware here (IBM Austin).  I bet we
could convince a manager to leave up a server for "technology demo"
purposes.  Give us a PPC64 server build, and I'll run it on a 32-proc box.

-ryan