[ut2004] UT2004 - Boot up problems

Peter Wright hardw1re at utleague.com
Wed Apr 14 14:39:00 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 17:46, Matthew Arnold wrote:
> Peter Wright wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 	Can anyone help me with getting UT2004 to work on Linux. I have UT
> > working, but it runs at 2fps, but UT2004 doesn't even boot. I'm trying
> > to update my nvidia driver files, but i cant seem to get out of the X
> > server mode to be able to run the install of for it.
> >
> > OS - Red Hat 9
> >
> > Thanks, Peter Wright
>
> Open up a console and issue this command as root:
>
> init 3
>
> That will kill X and drop you to a console. Install the NVIDIA drivers
> and make the necessary changes to your XF86Config file as mentioned in
> the driver's README.
>
> Then, as root, issue this command:
>
> init 5
>
> That will take you make to the X login. If X crashes when it tries to
> start, try issuing this command as root:
>
> modprobe nvidia
>
> For some reason when I upgrade drivers, the new driver doesn't get
> installed into the kernel for some reason. That command will do it for you.
>
> Enjoy,
>    Matt

I asked on IRC how to do it, got told to edit the initab file. So i have
managed to update my nvidia driver files no problem. UT2004 works fine
:) i had to increase the partition size of my linux boot tho because
ut2004 crashed. And i've seen them enough times in the past to know it
was probably a hdd issue. ITs been running perfectly since. Another
problem i now have though is, my monitor's brightness control is broken
i believe, so in windows i boost the Gamma to bypass this. but i havent
found a way to do this in Red Hat yet. UT2004 is fine cause it has built
in Gamma correction, but UT doesnt, so its very dark! :( is there an OGL
update that can correct this? or a way to boost my Gamma in Red Hat?
Thanks, Hardw1re (Pete)