[ut2004] UT2004 - Boot up problems

Matthew Arnold marnold at ez-net.com
Wed Apr 14 12:46:51 EDT 2004

Peter Wright wrote:
> Hi,
> 	Can anyone help me with getting UT2004 to work on Linux. I have UT
> working, but it runs at 2fps, but UT2004 doesn't even boot. I'm trying
> to update my nvidia driver files, but i cant seem to get out of the X
> server mode to be able to run the install of for it.
>
> OS - Red Hat 9
>
> Thanks, Peter Wright

Open up a console and issue this command as root:

init 3

That will kill X and drop you to a console. Install the NVIDIA drivers
and make the necessary changes to your XF86Config file as mentioned in
the driver's README.

Then, as root, issue this command:

init 5

That will take you make to the X login. If X crashes when it tries to
start, try issuing this command as root:

modprobe nvidia

For some reason when I upgrade drivers, the new driver doesn't get
installed into the kernel for some reason. That command will do it for you.

Enjoy,
   Matt