[ut2004] Strange text-to-speech issues: Same Here.

Jamin W. Collins jcollins at asgardsrealm.net
Thu Apr 1 15:27:56 EST 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:22:14PM -0500, Kristopher Kersey wrote:
> This actually makes a lot of since but I don't know really how to fix it.
> The problem is that the game grabs your "single stream capable" sound card
> when it starts and doesn't release it until the game exists.  During that
> time speechd/festival is waiting on the sound card to be able to output
> its buffer.  So when it grabs the card after game exit, it dumps that
> buffer.
>
> The only real fix for this is to buy a new sound card that handles
> multiple streams (ie - SB Live!, Audigy, etc.) or use a daemon (ESD, etc.)
> that will handle multiple streams.  Does ALSA have this built-in?  Are
> you using the ALSA or OSS driver?  Anyone with some more concrete
> sugggestions would be helpful to these people.  I will look into it when
> time permits if noone else comes up with any solutions.

If anyone knows of a good resource detailing how to enable multiple
stream support on an SB Live! (or just multiple stream support in
general) under ALSA I would be highly interested.  I've been looking for
some useful information on this front for a while.  If there's another
card that's easier to get multiple stream support on that works well
(playback and recording) that would be good to know too.

--
Jamin W. Collins

"Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups."
-- John Kenneth Galbraith