[ut2004] Strange text-to-speech issues: Same Here.

Jamin W. Collins jcollins at asgardsrealm.net
Thu Apr 1 15:27:56 EST 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 03:22:14PM -0500, Kristopher Kersey wrote:
> This actually makes a lot of since but I don't know really how to fix it.
> The problem is that the game grabs your "single stream capable" sound card
> when it starts and doesn't release it until the game exists.  During that
> time speechd/festival is waiting on the sound card to be able to output
> its buffer.  So when it grabs the card after game exit, it dumps that
> buffer.
> The only real fix for this is to buy a new sound card that handles
> multiple streams (ie - SB Live!, Audigy, etc.) or use a daemon (ESD, etc.)
> that will handle multiple streams.  Does ALSA have this built-in?  Are
> you using the ALSA or OSS driver?  Anyone with some more concrete
> sugggestions would be helpful to these people.  I will look into it when
> time permits if noone else comes up with any solutions.

If anyone knows of a good resource detailing how to enable multiple
stream support on an SB Live! (or just multiple stream support in
general) under ALSA I would be highly interested.  I've been looking for
some useful information on this front for a while.  If there's another
card that's easier to get multiple stream support on that works well
(playback and recording) that would be good to know too.

Jamin W. Collins

"Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups."
-- John Kenneth Galbraith