[ut2004] Strange text-to-speech issues: Same Here.

Kristopher Kersey augustus at linuxhardware.org
Thu Apr 1 15:22:14 EST 2004

This actually makes a lot of since but I don't know really how to fix it.
The problem is that the game grabs your "single stream capable" sound card
when it starts and doesn't release it until the game exists.  During that
time speechd/festival is waiting on the sound card to be able to output
its buffer.  So when it grabs the card after game exit, it dumps that
buffer.

The only real fix for this is to buy a new sound card that handles
multiple streams (ie - SB Live!, Audigy, etc.) or use a daemon (ESD, etc.)
that will handle multiple streams.  Does ALSA have this built-in?  Are
you using the ALSA or OSS driver?  Anyone with some more concrete
sugggestions would be helpful to these people.  I will look into it when
time permits if noone else comes up with any solutions.

Thanks,
Kris Kersey (Augustus)
LinuxHardware.org Site Manager
augustus at linuxhardware.org