[ut2003io] issues with glibc-2.3

Peter Kemmerer qapete at beyondunreal.com
Thu Jan 9 18:21:32 EST 2003

I had the same problems, here are what I found to be the settings that
work for me for acceptable and non-crashing Debian 'woody' (not
unstable) gameplay:

1024x768 or lower resolution
16-bit only
All normal details, except you can crank up the world details to high if
your hardware can handle it.
No shadows or blob shadows
Turn off the TouchSense Force Feedback
No screen flashes

I haven't had a single crash since I happened upon these settings, and
the game plays acceptably well for me.  If I change to 32-bit, I crash.
If I crank up the resolution, game plays too slowly (P4-2.4, 1 GB DDR,
Ti4600).  If I crank up any of the details other than the world detail,
the game plays too slowly.  If I run shadows, the game crashes.  The
last two are just my preference to have disabled.

There are other reasons your game could potentially crash.  If you cat
your /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status file, you should see something like
this:

Driver:          AGPGART
AGP Rate:        4x
Fast Writes:     Disabled
SBA:             Disabled

The driver could be nvidia, the AGP rate could be less than 4x (some
hardware/Linux combos need to have that at 2x or 1x to function without
crashing), but the last two should be Disabled.

I'm sure others here have some suggestions, so I'll leave mine at these
for now.  Good luck!

Regards,

Pete
-BeyondUnreal