[ut2003io] Serious issues

David van Hoose davidvh at cox.net
Thu Jan 2 16:42:43 EST 2003

Chunky Kibbles wrote:

>>>This is a bug in the installer; it's reading the fstab because it's
>>>looking for the game CD.
>>
>>Then it should read /dev/cdrom not the fstab. A command line argument to
>>find the correct path to the CD should suffice. If all else fails, a
>>'grep -i "iso9660" /etc/fstab' should return a line with the mount
>>directory.

> There are formats for CDs other than 9660 [zisofs immediately springs
> to mind], and some people have the fstype on their CD as "auto", which
> is, interestingly enough, the same as a floppy usually.

Never heard of zisofs, but joliet and rockridge come to mind.
Most everyone does use iso9660 as it is the standard for CDs. If someone
uses auto, then of course the command-line arg is best for override.

> /dev/cdrom on my machine is different from the CD that I installed
> UT2k3 from. And on most of the other platforms setup runs on,
> something as simple as /dev/cdrom is blue-yonder thinking.

That is the only catch indeed. :-)

> Oh - And you can use the command-line to point at the CD, if you want;
> SETUP_CDROM env.variable and variants thereupon are your friends.

I tried to specify my CD path to the installer, but it still read my
fstab destructively. I'll try the SETUP_CDROM next time. Is that the
mount path or the device path?
They needed to have better installation documentation to explain all of
the switches, variables, etc for installation. They also needed to have
the README.linux NOT embedded into the install script. Maybe as a file
on the CD. (hint hint)
Doesn't help installation if it is only available during installation.

-David