[ut2003io] TNT2 on Linux

David Krider david at davidkrider.com
Mon Sep 30 15:28:22 EDT 2002

I'll second this. I have a dual Athlon 1200 MP, and I'm upgrading to a GeForce4
4600 from a GeForce 2Ti in order to play the game at any reasonable framerate.
I guess there might be some debugging code left in the demo, or there might
have been some optimizations made to the renderer before going gold, but I have
no idea. All that I know is that I get a much more consistent framerate under
Win2K than under RedHat 7.3, even when I borrow the GeForce4 from my work computer.

My work computer is even a little sluggish under Linux, which is scary, because
it's a dual 1800+ MP. I realize that these sorts of games get made with the
understanding that they need to be relevant over a couple generations of
computer lifecycles, but come on! There's not a *whole* lot more power out
there than what I've got here at work, and I have a hard time keeping >35 fps
(at 800x600 with some details - notably character shadows - turned off) in some
areas in the outdoor level. (The indoor level is another story altogether.)

If anyone on this list has put together a nice list of what tweaks will help
the most under Linux, in order to get the framerates higher and keep them more
steady, I'd love to know about it.

Regards,
dk