[ut2003io] TNT2 on Linux

Michiel El Muerte Hendriks m.f.h.hendriks at student.utwente.nl
Mon Sep 30 15:18:48 EDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 01:18:45PM -0600, Bryan Field-Elliot wrote:
> I'm running RH Linux 7.3.
>
> I had a Voodoo3 card, but upon trying to play UT2003, I got the
> "DXTC/S3TC support" error.
>
> Reading the README file, which said "you should pop an Nvidia card into
> your machine", I went out and bought a TNT2 (32MB) card and, as
> instructed, popped it in.
>
> Now I'm still getting the same error, and a little digging around with
> google revealed that, perhaps, the TNT2 chips don't support S3TC, and
> that what I really need is a card with a Geforce2 chipset.
>
> Is this the case? At the least, the readme should be updated with the
> more specific information. Or, if there's a workaround to get UT2003 to
> work with my shiny new TNT2 card, I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks!
> Bryan

The OpenGL renderer _requires_ texture compression. TNT2 doesn't support
texture compression. Direct3D does not require texture compression, so
it will work on Windows but not on Linux. But still, playing UT2003 on a
TNT2 is not much fun (I can know)

Michiel "El Muerte" Hendriks            elmuerte at drunksnipers.com
TDS - Internet Services                 http://www.drunksnipers.com