[ut2003io] TNT2 on Linux

Michael leahcim at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 30 16:32:51 EDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 02:28:22PM -0500, David Krider wrote:
> My work computer is even a little sluggish under Linux, which is scary,
> because it's a dual 1800+ MP. I realize that these sorts of games get made
> with the understanding that they need to be relevant over a couple
> generations of computer lifecycles, but come on! There's not a *whole* lot
> more power out there than what I've got here at work, and I have a hard
> time keeping >35 fps (at 800x600 with some details - notably character
> shadows - turned off) in some areas in the outdoor level. (The indoor level
> is another story altogether.)

Probably not many games written with smp in mind, from that respect an
XP1800 isn't that hot if only 1 is being used. That said, I think you'll
win wrt sound with ut2003 on linux.

Most of the decent benchmark scores I've seen (and probably have less
tolerance than some for what is decent ;) have been high end p4s with
ti4200 or 4600.

I get better performance on windows opengl, so I suspect either driver
or port optimisations may exist - there's not a massive difference
between the opengl/d3d performance on windows (at least for me, I've
seen others claim both are faster)

It seems cpu bound more than anything though. You say @800x600, but I
benchmark (botmatch benchmarks) the same at anything from 640x to
1024x.

> If anyone on this list has put together a nice list of what tweaks will
> help the most under Linux, in order to get the framerates higher and keep
> them more steady, I'd love to know about it.

With a ti4200/XP2000+/kt133a board I'm not getting much difference
lowering resolution, or any of the texture related settings. Best seems
to be disabling all the taunts / voices stuff which seem to cause
stutters and disabling projectors / disabling coronas. Physics on low,
everything else on medium.

Once I get above 12 or so folk online, it's basically 30 odd fps, spam
and pray :) About 8-10 folk and it's playable.

It'll be interesting to see what doom3 needs by comparison, I'll
probably hold off upgrading until that comes out.

--
Michael.