[ut2003io] Performance under Linux

Andrew Pilley ashridah at icculus.org
Sun Oct 20 04:03:21 EDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 15:58, Eric Lathrop wrote:
> Apparently I'm not getting AGP memory allocated.
>
> ----UT2003.log----
> Init: WARNING: Couldn't allocate AGP memory - turning off support for
> GL_NV_vertex_array_range
> Init: WARNING: This has a serious impact on performance.
> ----end-UT2003.log----
>
> I've suspected this (because a "cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status") gives
> me "Status: Disabled"), but I still get a whole pile of frames/sec so I've
> never investigated it further.
>
> Any ideas on how to enable it?

what chipsets are on your motherboard? (/sbin/lspci will give you a
quick summary). make sure that agpgart can support your agp chipset, if
not, try using NvAGP. instructions for switching between them is in the
README provided by nvidia's 3d drivers, but the gist of it is:

in /etc/X11/XF86Config[-4]

add
Option "NvAGP" "1"
for NvAGP, set it to "2" for agpgart (the default is to try agpgart
first), and if things are crashing, setting it to "0" will disable AGP,
allowing you to at least get a working system :)

ashridah

ps, if you're experimenting, make sure agpgart is a module, and ISN'T
loaded into the kernel if you're trying to use NvAGP. right after
starting X, both dmesg's output and /var/log/XFree86.0.log should
mention something about AGP if there are problems.