[ut2003io] One install, two platforms. Doable?

Andrew Pilley ashridah at icculus.org
Sun Nov 3 00:39:05 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 16:19,
fyn at ut2k3-linux-list.artemis.wrong.button.com wrote:
> I play games on a system that dual-boots Win2k and Linux.
> Both mount a largish FAT32 partition that I install all my games onto.
>
> Rather than waste another 2.5Gb installing a second copy of Unreal Tournament
> 2003 in Linux, is it possible just to untar a few binaries into the system
> directory or somesuch?

since the installer is a little more complicated than that, probably
not. you could get away with installing the second copy, updating it to
the most recent version, and then using md5sum to compare the windows
and linux versions to get candidates for symlinking.

just keep in mind that you'll need to restore the multiple copies if you
go to patch it again at a later date.

> Does anyone have an advice outlining this process or an idea of where to
> begin?  linux_installer.sh is partially binary so it's not exactly
> self-explanatory what it's doing ..

it installs a bunch of linux-specific programs and libraries, then
uncompresses most of the data from the cds, writes out the cdkey file,
and goes on its merry way.

> Since I've got my Windows copy up to date with the latest patch, would
> extracting the Linux patch be sufficient, or are there files from the CD not
> included in the patch?

you're going to have the most fun with this. the linux patches use
deltas. if half of the linux install points to an existing windows
install that's already been patched, it'll probably refuse to install.
still, if you're careful about restoring the data before patching the
windows version (or vice-versa) and then repeating the comparisons, you
will probably be right.

i'd say it'd probably not be worth the trouble. play it in one or the
other, or buy more disk. easier than messing around, unless you want to
write a crapload of scripts.

ashridah