[ut2003io] One install, two platforms. Doable?

D. Olson dana at mandrakeusers.org
Sun Nov 3 00:24:55 EST 2002

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 23:19:04 -0600
fyn at ut2k3-linux-list.artemis.wrong.button.com wrote:

> I play games on a system that dual-boots Win2k and Linux.
> Both mount a largish FAT32 partition that I install all my games
> onto.
>
> Rather than waste another 2.5Gb installing a second copy of Unreal
> Tournament 2003 in Linux, is it possible just to untar a few
> binaries into the system directory or somesuch?
>
> Does anyone have an advice outlining this process or an idea of
> where to begin?  linux_installer.sh is partially binary so it's not
> exactly self-explanatory what it's doing ..
>
> Since I've got my Windows copy up to date with the latest patch,
> would extracting the Linux patch be sufficient, or are there files
> from the CD not included in the patch?

I would hazard a guess that you could symlink some of the data from
your Windows partition into the proper install dir in Linux. It worked
for old games like Doom and Quake and so forth for me, but maybe it
won't work with this game. All you can do is try it.

--
D. Olson
The Mandrake eXPerience

"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It's where
belief stops, because it isn't needed any more."