[Fwd: [blood-devel] Re: [twilight-commits] Module twilight: Change committed]

Joseph Carter knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Wed Jul 17 11:46:11 EDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 11:55:35AM +0200, Mathieu Olivier wrote:
> Seems like icculus.org doesn't like my "elric at planetblood.com" address.
> So I forward you the message directly.

Ahh, no, you can't post to -commits, must reply to -devel.

> [bigsnip]
>

> >+  - BloodBath support
> >+    + Custom sbar
>
> So far, we don't use a sbar, simply because we can't if we want to stay
> compatible with any Quake engine. That said, this beautiful
> compatibility thing has just been "voted" until BloodBath 1.0 ship. If
> any BloodBath version is made after that, we may stick to one specific
> engine only (and no more QuakeWorld !!! YES !!!).

Note, you're creating Cvars.  This automatically limits you to an enhanced
engine since a standard engine couldn't do it.  At any rate, if you have
the graphics, tell me where they go on screen and at what resolution and
I'll be happy to add support.  Doing the same for DP is not impossible,
but DP's sbar code is not as clean as Twilight's currently.  It'll be no
more a hack than it was for Id to support SoA and DoE which both use their
own custom status bars.  If you wanna keep it working with normal Quake,
that's fine too, since this is an engine-side hack to load different
graphics in different places.

The support would then be our problem, until such time as we can actually
offer you a mechanism to define what goes in a status bar.  We don't have
that yet.  Working on it.

> >+    + Custom keybindings
>
> I made what could be considered as a Evil Hack to put that into DP. A
> more customizable system would be a good thing I guess.

I didn't see it in Linux DP.  Win32 DP from BloodBath's installation
(which absolutely required wine to unpack by running the installer) gave
me just enough problems that I opted not to use it.  Now what's really
disturbing was how well it worked at all.  Quite impressive.

> >+    + builtin to register Cvars
>
> Actually, I kept the compatibility with Twilight in BloodBath when it
> was simple enough . So it also supports Twilight-style cvar creation (at
> 1st access), and it supports "+use" as a alternate button for altfire
> too ("+use" is also available in ZQuake and QuakeForge QW if I remember
> correctly). "impulse 12" still works for everyone, and "+button3" in DP.

Note, Cvars created this way are cleaned out on level change unless the
user has set them.  If you need them to survive level changes, this will
require the same extension found in DP.  (I don't have a problem doing
this, really..)

My suggestion for the future is that you simply draft a list of things
your engine requires and publish it in some place that engine guys like me
can find it.  Forest described Quake as an emulator - because development
stagnated for so long, there isn't much coordination likely when we start
actively trying to add new features and the like.

I therefore have concluded the major extensions which currently exist
should be supported, easy or not.  This includes Nehahra which, from the
same TODO file you're commenting on, will prove to be such a huge hack
that it will require adding several new files to the engine just to keep
it from infecting the rest of the codebase.  A few mods are using the
released Nehahra protocol (which is substantially better..)  All we can do
is find out what things people are actually using and make them work for
people.  I don't have a problem doing this.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at bluecherry.net>              Goldfish don't bounce

<ultima> netgod: My calculator has more registers than the x86, and
         -thats- sad