[twilight-devel] Re: [Fwd: [blood-devel] Re: [twilight-commits] Module twilight: Change committed]

Forest 'LordHavoc' Hale havoc at inside3d.com
Fri Jul 19 16:22:13 EDT 2002

>>>+    + Custom keybindings
>>
>>I made what could be considered as a Evil Hack to put that into DP. A
>>more customizable system would be a good thing I guess.
>

> I didn't see it in Linux DP.  Win32 DP from BloodBath's installation
> (which absolutely required wine to unpack by running the installer) gave
> me just enough problems that I opted not to use it.  Now what's really
> disturbing was how well it worked at all.  Quite impressive.

You (knghtbrd) were running it with DirectX mouse grab disabled, it
would have been completely playable if you had that enabled (I know this
because I've run DP in wine).

>>>+    + builtin to register Cvars
>>
>>Actually, I kept the compatibility with Twilight in BloodBath when it
>>was simple enough . So it also supports Twilight-style cvar creation (at
>>1st access), and it supports "+use" as a alternate button for altfire
>>too ("+use" is also available in ZQuake and QuakeForge QW if I remember
>>correctly). "impulse 12" still works for everyone, and "+button3" in DP.
>

> Note, Cvars created this way are cleaned out on level change unless the
> user has set them.  If you need them to survive level changes, this will
> require the same extension found in DP.  (I don't have a problem doing
> this, really..)

Suggestion: cvars used by a game/mod belong in it's metadata file like
knghtbrd and I have been talking about.

> My suggestion for the future is that you simply draft a list of things
> your engine requires and publish it in some place that engine guys like me
> can find it.  Forest described Quake as an emulator - because development
> stagnated for so long, there isn't much coordination likely when we start
> actively trying to add new features and the like.
>
> I therefore have concluded the major extensions which currently exist
> should be supported, easy or not.  This includes Nehahra which, from the
> same TODO file you're commenting on, will prove to be such a huge hack
> that it will require adding several new files to the engine just to keep
> it from infecting the rest of the codebase.  A few mods are using the
> released Nehahra protocol (which is substantially better..)  All we can do
> is find out what things people are actually using and make them work for
> people.  I don't have a problem doing this.

Sounds fine to me.

--
LordHavoc
Senior Editor for http://www.gamevisions.com