[sdlsound] SMPEG

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Fri Jan 17 18:41:25 EST 2003

> If I enable SMPEG, I get no sound.  Nada.  It's filling the buffer with
> data, because I have my counter working from the size of the data in the
> buffer, and it's full everytime.  If I disable SMPEG, everytime I play a
> file with id3v2 tags, I get garbage and it just moves on to the next song.

SMPEG requires you to have the audio device opened through SDL_OpenAudio()
before decoding. This is a stupid requirement, but that's how it is at the
moment. That's the usual cause of problems.

The other MP3 decoder (mpglib) doesn't deal with file corruption at all,
and doesn't understand ID3v2 tags. There's a hack to discard ID3v1 tags
before passing them to the decoder, and the same could be done for ID3v2,
I suppose.

--ryan.