Autoconf working yet?

Max Horn max at
Fri Sep 28 05:24:13 EDT 2001

At 8:44 Uhr +0200 28.09.2001, Torbjörn Andersson wrote:
>  > Normally, libtoolize should do that, in the bootstrap script. And in
>>  fact it does for me.
>Not for me:
>    $ libtoolize --automake --copy --force --dry-run
>    rm -f config.guess
>    cp -f /usr/share/libtool/config.guess config.guess
>    rm -f config.sub
>    cp -f /usr/share/libtool/config.sub config.sub
>    rm -f
>    cp -f /usr/share/libtool/
>Hmm... If I read the documentation right, ltconfig has been
>obsoleted in  recent versions of libtool anyway: "The tests that
>`ltconfig' used to perform are now kept in `libtool.m4' where they
>can be written using Autoconf."

Right! I was not thinking straight.

>I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but if I rip out all of
>the libtool stuff from acinclude.m4 and replace it with just
>    include(`libtool.m4')
>it works. For me, that is. I don't know if this is the *right' way
>of doing it.

Not completly.

In fact, the proper solution is to rip out the stuff in acinclude.m4,
and *not* replace it :)

aclocal look through for all needed macros; it will thne
take the file acinclude.m4 and look for all those macros in there,
the ones it cannot find it looks for in $prefix/share/aclocal/*.m4,
these all are combined into the file aclocal.m4 then.

In my, case I just completl deleted the acinclude.m4; it is simply
needed for people who do not have smpeg/libmkimod/vorbis installed.

Max Horn
Software Developer

email: <mailto:max at>
phone: (+49) 6151-494890