Autoconf

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue Sep 25 12:42:42 EDT 2001

> cd /usr/local/share/aclocal/
> cat sdl.m4 libmikmod.m4 vorbis.m4 smpeg.m4 > /path/to/SDL_sound/acinclude.m4

This is done now. One problem down.  :)

> >automake: unrecognized option -- `--force'
>
> Uhmmm... what versionsof automak/autoconf/libtoolize do you have? Can
> you start them with --version and look? Current are:
> automake 1.4p5 or 1.5
> autoconf 2.13 or 2.52
> libtool 1.35 or 1.4.2

I was using automake 1.4 standard, so I upgraded to 1.4p5; still no
--force option (although there is a --no-force option in both of these
versions). Perhaps --force is the default, and not needed?  (I hope?) I've
removed --force from bootstrap's call to automake for now.

> >So that we're working from the same tree, I've checked in what should be
> >in CVS according to the list (i.e. everything but config.guess, etc...)
>
> Hm, not such a good idea.

The original Makefile is still there, so users can still build from that
until we get autoconf up and working smoothly (which it appears to be now,
so the original Makefile will be going away soon).

> Something got screwed up :) And that was that I forgot to tell you to
> create an acinclude.m4, or didn't include one.

Taken care of. The stuff in CVS seems to be pretty workable, now.

According to:
  http://www.gnu.org/software/changelogs/autoconf/autoconf-2.52/NEWS

AC_FUNC_MALLOC doesn't appear until autoconf-2.52, so I've commented it
out of configure.in for now. Everything else seems to be working pretty
well.

Also, the installation is putting SDL_sound.h into (for example)
/usr/local/include/, when in fact it should be in /usr/local/include/SDL/

Granted, the current Makefile does that, too, but it should be changed.

--ryan.