Autoconf

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Sep 25 13:12:01 EDT 2001

At 12:42 Uhr -0400 25.09.2001, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
>  > cd /usr/local/share/aclocal/
>>  cat sdl.m4 libmikmod.m4 vorbis.m4 smpeg.m4 > /path/to/SDL_sound/acinclude.m4
>
>This is done now. One problem down.  :)
>
>>  >automake: unrecognized option -- `--force'
>>
>>  Uhmmm... what versionsof automak/autoconf/libtoolize do you have? Can
>>  you start them with --version and look? Current are:
>>  automake 1.4p5 or 1.5
>>  autoconf 2.13 or 2.52
>>  libtool 1.35 or 1.4.2
>
>I was using automake 1.4 standard, so I upgraded to 1.4p5; still no
>--force option (although there is a --no-force option in both of these
>versions). Perhaps --force is the default, and not needed?  (I hope?) I've
>removed --force from bootstrap's call to automake for now.

Try --force-missing - the weird thing is, it worked for me, and I
know several scripts that use it, but automake 1.5 only lists -f /
--force-missing.

>  > >So that we're working from the same tree, I've checked in what should be
>>  >in CVS according to the list (i.e. everything but config.guess, etc...)
>>
>>  Hm, not such a good idea.
>
>The original Makefile is still there, so users can still build from that
>until we get autoconf up and working smoothly (which it appears to be now,
>so the original Makefile will be going away soon).

Fine, I will do a fresh CVS checkout and try.

>>  Something got screwed up :) And that was that I forgot to tell you to
>>  create an acinclude.m4, or didn't include one.
>
>Taken care of. The stuff in CVS seems to be pretty workable, now.
>
>According to:
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/changelogs/autoconf/autoconf-2.52/NEWS
>
>AC_FUNC_MALLOC doesn't appear until autoconf-2.52, so I've commented it
>out of configure.in for now. Everything else seems to be working pretty
>well.

Well, it would be easy enough to add it to our acinclude.m4

>Also, the installation is putting SDL_sound.h into (for example)
>/usr/local/include/, when in fact it should be in /usr/local/include/SDL/

Isn't hard to fix, though one could argue if this is right or not...
I am in fact not that happy about SDL_mixer.h being there, and the
SDL_ prefix already is clear enough...

>Granted, the current Makefile does that, too, but it should be changed.

OK, I just copied the behaviour.

Max
Max Horn
Software Developer