MIDI support (was: Autoconf working yet?)

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Oct 1 06:42:23 EDT 2001

At 12:24 Uhr +0200 01.10.2001, Torbjörn Andersson wrote:
>Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
>
>>  Actually? Yes, but not specific to Timidity.
>>
>>  If we're going to fork off and read from a pipe, we might as well make
>>  it generic enough to read from any process that's willing to send
>>  waveform data over stdio...sox comes to mind here.
>
>[snip]
>
>>  These are not impossible questions, but they will need answers.
>
>Mmmm... Ok, I'll keep working on the TiMidity-specific version
>because that's something I can easily test, and then we can either
>scrap it or cannibalize it for ideas later.
>
>My main problem at the moment is that I don't know how to teach it
>to recognize valid MIDI data before passing it to TiMidity. I'm not
>sure how to handle that. I could look at stderr, but not everything
>that gets written to stderr is an error...

You might want to take a look at exult (hosted at sourceforge); we
have midi driver there for various systems, including a timidity
driver that does forking, and a seperate "fork" midi driver that is
rather generel. There are also two different MIDI native driver, a
BeOS dirver, one that uses libkmidi, and my MacOQ/QuickTime driver.

Max
Max Horn
Software Developer

email: <mailto:max at quendi.de>