MIDI support (was: Autoconf working yet?)

Torbjörn Andersson torbjorn.e.andersson at tietoenator.com
Mon Oct 1 06:24:58 EDT 2001

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

 > Actually? Yes, but not specific to Timidity.
 >
 > If we're going to fork off and read from a pipe, we might as well make
 > it generic enough to read from any process that's willing to send
 > waveform data over stdio...sox comes to mind here.

[snip]

 > These are not impossible questions, but they will need answers.

Mmmm... Ok, I'll keep working on the TiMidity-specific version because
that's something I can easily test, and then we can either scrap it or
cannibalize it for ideas later.

My main problem at the moment is that I don't know how to teach it to
recognize valid MIDI data before passing it to TiMidity. I'm not sure
how to handle that. I could look at stderr, but not everything that gets
written to stderr is an error...

Torbjörn Andersson