[referencer] a question on new plugin

John Spray jcspray at icculus.org
Sat Feb 23 06:49:41 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 17:59 +0800, Zhi-Wei Huang wrote:
> after several hours of coding, the plugin work in some way.
>
> at this time, I only use the method similar to |ads.py| to fill in
> fields into "doc". And I also find some useful infos in this maillist
> about SPIRES service. Now, my scipt |spires-ref.py| can get metadata
> from SPIRES and deliver it to Referencer successfully.
>
> Originally, I only make "eprint" works, that is, only
> ID=hep-th/9711200 like entry works. Inspired by Tom Brown's script, I
> makes more entries like
> hep-th/9711200
> 0705.0303
> Maldacena:1997re
>
> CMPHA,43,199
> Phys.Rev.,D52,5783
>
> work.

hep-th/9711200 and 0705.0303 are both eprints (old-style arxiv and
new-style arxiv).  So they both fit into the existing ID scheme.  About
the other examples you give:
      * Do some papers have those IDs but no eprint?
      * Are they ever present in the PDF of a paper?

What I'm trying to establish is whether it is useful to support those
formats as well as eprint.

> However, I have bypassed some problems to fulfill these,
> for I am not clear about the underlying mechanics of Referencer.
> They are:
>  + disable all other plugins except |spires-ref.py|,
>  + still use "doi" method to transfer ID to python plugins ?
>    I want to use a new method "spires" for this special plugin,
>    but I can not find a way to make it work.

I've fixed it up to use eprint instead of doi.  In this case, the only
competition is between arxiv and spires: any ID arxiv can't resolve will
get tried with spires.  Some users may well prefer to disable the arxiv
plugin in this case.  It would be desirable to allow users to specify
and order of preference, but nobody has found time for this yet.

>  + How to transfer "type", "bibitem" ... to Referencer?

I've modified the script to use the parse_bibtex function provided by
referencer svn: this

>  + some eprint got from SPIRES like this
>    eprint   arXiv:0705.0303 [hep-th]
>    can not be used directly by "arXiv Link", only
>    eprint   arXiv:0705.0303
>    works. (This problem can be eliminated in my script,
>    but [hep-th] is still useful strings. So I think "arXiv Link" may introduce some codes to deal with it.)

I'm not convinced that the "[hep-th]" part is useful: Doesn't the 0705
part of the eprint specify the section?

I've attached a version that works for me with referencer svn, providing
the "arxiv" capability and using referencer's bibtex parser.

Is your intention to work on this separately, or would you like me to
commit it to subversion?

John