[referencer] a question on new plugin

Zhi-Wei Huang zwhuang at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 04:59:13 EST 2008

after several hours of coding, the plugin work in some way.

at this time, I only use the method similar to |ads.py| to fill in fields
into "doc". And I also find some useful infos in this maillist about SPIRES
service. Now, my scipt |spires-ref.py| can get metadata from SPIRES and
deliver it to Referencer successfully.

Originally, I only make "eprint" works, that is, only ID=hep-th/9711200 like
entry works. Inspired by Tom Brown's script, I makes more entries like

hep-th/9711200
0705.0303
Maldacena:1997re
CMPHA,43,199
Phys.Rev.,D52,5783

work.

However, I have bypassed some problems to fulfill these,
for I am not clear about the underlying mechanics of Referencer.
They are:
 + disable all other plugins except |spires-ref.py|,
 + still use "doi" method to transfer ID to python plugins ?
   I want to use a new method "spires" for this special plugin,
   but I can not find a way to make it work.

And there are some problems.
 + How to transfer "type", "bibitem" ... to Referencer?
 + some eprint got from SPIRES like this
   eprint   arXiv:0705.0303 [hep-th]
   can not be used directly by "arXiv Link", only
   eprint   arXiv:0705.0303
   works. (This problem can be eliminated in my script,
   but [hep-th] is still useful strings. So I think "arXiv Link" may
introduce some codes to deal with it.)

The draft of the plugin script |spires-ref.py| is included in the
attachment. It works for Referencer 1.1.0 in my Ubuntu 7.10 OS.

regards,
Huang