[referencer] List view issues (was Referencer 1.0.4-pre)

Rick L Vinyard Jr rvinyard at cs.nmsu.edu
Thu May 31 12:52:26 EDT 2007

John Spray wrote:

> On the TODO for 1.0.5 are:
>  - Sort out the column sizing
>  - Make the fields editable without opening document properties
>  - (Maybe) Look into adding/removing columns
>  - Save the sorting state between sessions
>
> Anyone have anything to add?

Just a few personal wishlist items; and before I list them... I'll help
write them if you want.

  * Hierarchical tags... i.e. tags organized by trees.

  * Paste BibTeX in the document properties dialog

  * BibTeX fields that change based on the type in the document
properties dialog
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibtex seems to have a pretty good list of
what is required and what is optional for each type.

  * On the document right-click menu, in addition to the 'Open...'
option, an 'Open With...' option.

  * Per document notes... i.e. a mechanism for associating notes with a
particular item.
Perhaps a simple way to do this would be to leverage existing notetaking
apps (Zim, Tomboy, gnotes). Looking at Zim in particular it takes a
parameter that is the notes page. With an additional string stored in
BibData, a user specified notes app (probably set in preferences) and a
menu entry, an execle() could spawn the notes app with the associated
string as the parameter.

  * Related to the per document notes above... have a mechanism for
opening an associated xournal file.
I've been using xournal to annotate PDFs, and referencer doesn't have
any problem importing them. But, it would be nice if the xournal file
were associated with the actual paper.

>>   - It would also be nice if there were icons on the toolbar to switch
>> between the icon view and list view
>>

> I thought about doing that, but guessed that people generally use one or
> the other rather than switching often.  Anyone else found themselves
> wishing for this?

Personally, I like to use the icon view the most and the tooltips make
it even better. But, every now and then I find myself switching to the
list view when I want to scan everything in a tag.