[quake3] Elite Force Comparison Shots

Stephan Reiter stephan.reiter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 16:07:49 EST 2008

2008/3/6, Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de:

> By the way, I got a few things on my mind still:

> Firstly, if you did not change too much in the renderer, you should be
able to
> use the built-in /video command in ioquake3 to record videos. In more
recent
> revisions, a bug in sound recording was fixed, so if you use that one and
> don't use OpenAL you can even record sound. You can record videos with
higher
> resolutions, as the engine will record a constant 25fps and will slow down
if
> the performance does not suffice such that the time scale is correct in
the
> video.
Might be worth a try, thanks for the hint!

> Secondly, I was curious whether the rendering in your ioquake3 version is
> already multicore capable.
Yep, it spawns a thread for each core.

> And thirdly, complexity in ray-tracing is probably also dependent on the
> number of triangles in a scene. I also had the impression that the videos
> showed maps with not that many polygons.
I thought Breach was one of the more complex maps, hmm. Suggestions?

> Fourthly, what are windows users going to do? g++ is not common there as
you
> probably know.
I think we should investigate using the Tiny C Compiler (
http://www.landley.net/code/tinycc/) for this. It can be compiled as a
library and embedded into the ioquake 3 engine. Rewriting the shader
transcoder to emit C code instead of C++ should be too hard.

Stephan