[quake3] Elite Force Raytraced

Stephan Reiter stephan.reiter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 13:49:48 EST 2008

Danke, Thilo!!

I think it should be feasible to run this at 800x600 @ 30fps on any computer
with a more or less up to date CPU. My computer is more than two years old
and has a pretty limitting Athlon X2 3800 processor. So I really shouldn't
be the one creating benchmarks here.

Hopefully we can release this as a patch very soon. There are some minor
problems and things to take care of first:
1. The raytracing library is pretty much finished already, but I plan on
adding another acceleration structure (BIH) for dynamic scenes in the next
weeks. I think EF raytraced could really benefit from that, because the
current BVH-structure is more suited for retained mode rendering and not so
much for rebuilding every frame.
2. At the moment I have an external tool that collects all shaders from the
scripts-directory and outputs C++ code for sampling with scalar and SIMD
code paths. The result is basically a huge code file that has to be compiled
into a shared object (or dll) and is loaded by the game at runtime. I'd like
to get rid of this and create shader code at runtime, probably using LLVM
(llvm.org). But this remains to be investigated ...

Btw, that floating head problem was an artifact of some jumbled up matrix
calculations. So they're in no way related to your work and had already been
fixed when the second video was recorded. I'll look into applying your
latest patch though, so thanks for that!
I really owe you a lot for creating such an excellent patch. I don't have
Quake 3 and definitely wouldn't have bought it just to try my raytracer
library. EF on the other hand is a mighty fine game and I'm glad I can play
it on Linux now, too. Thanks to you!

Regards,
Stephan