[quake3] Supported protocols

Christopher Bunting cbunting99 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 00:52:10 EDT 2008

> Don't believe what that Bunting guy says, because he is clueless. Protocol
> 1.32 vs. 1.16  or 1.17 are inherently incompatible.

How do you figure?

I've not only worked on Q3 projects. I spent over a year working on the
Antrix emulator as well as writing my own additions to be one of the first
World or Warcraft Emulators to support The Burning Crusade.
http://code.google.com/p/angelemu/

Adding protocol support for a game that IS NOT open source is not easy. But
it has been proven that it can be done. I used Wireshark
http://www.wireshark.org/ 90% of the time and a custom sql packet anyalizer
to gather needed data in order to write support for TBC.

Quake 3 doesn't use a database which makes it that much easier to support
other protocals. Just because it may not be easy does not mean it can't be
done. I myself I played on older q3 servers with different protocals and I
never had a problem. I know nothing about the mod that was mentioned but
figured it takes 5 minutes or less to recompile ioQuake3 to see if he could
connect to the mod. Again, I've said before that what I wrote was just a
suggestion.

Chris