[quake3] Supported protocols

LinuxManMikeC linuxmanmikec at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 07:48:51 EDT 2008

>  Going that way you are effectively cutting the second of two ways in which
> ioq3 can be useful for actual Q3A gaming.
>  Those two ways are:
>  - develop multi-protocol support (at least most popular 1.16n)
>  or
>  - implement punkbuster to allow playing on 95% of 1.32 servers

Id Software never cared about multi-protocol compatibility.  And if
you want punkbuster, quit being cheap, buy a copy of Q3.

>  Above two protocols are the most popular ones. I know punkbuster is
> closed-source proprietary software, so 2nd way is a dead-end.

Punkbuster has nothing to do with protocols.

>  How about the first one? Reverse-engineer protocol 1.16 (which shouldn't be
> that hard, cause packets aren't encrypted or compressed in any way) and
> implement, by receiving server's proto version and switching to matching
> network packets' parser on the fly. Or something like that :)

Weren't you paying attention?  Thilo just said there is compression.
He also said it was really hard to reverse engineer!

>  Thilo said this way is also out of interest. So may I ask you then, is this
> project still a Q3A client or is it just a codebase for developing
> standalone games ?

It was also never of interest to id Software.  And that is the whole
point of this project from what I understand, continue where id
Software left off.

>  You should really take care of ioq3 wiki and make there some roadmap or
> project goals cause I'm missing your point :>

Yes, you are missing the point.  It is up to the mod developer to
update their mod and I believe someone mentioned there was talk of
this in their forum.  So until then, be patient, go outside, get some
exercise, breath some fresh air, and get some sunshine kid.

Mike