[quake3] Re: Long uptime bug and other suggestions

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Tue Nov 28 01:53:55 EST 2006

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 01:32, DD wrote:
> I am compiling my own now and server is running SVN973 (ioQ3 1.33
> linux-i386 Nov 19 2006) and all works perfectly. Long uptime 'choppy'
> bug is present only if i leave one map running without a restart for
> 10 or more hours. Well, i guess at that time you start to notice it.
> If maps rotate by timelimit or fraglimit it's all smooth even after a
> week of uptime (tested from 18 to 25 nov 2006).

with ioquake3, as far as I know, the choppy bug should not appear at all
unless ran over a much more extensive period.

> HTTP download is not for regular clients so i decided to change the
> text about no maps present and to disable server downloading. This is
> mainly because we don't have time to send a player some map, server
> rotates to next one sooner.

Given a broadband connection at the client and a well connected server,
downloading of new maps via cURL can be done within the warmup period. You
can also disable UDP downloads and only allow HTTP downloads. This is what I
would do.

--
Thilo Schulz