[quake3] Re: Dedicated Server setup

JoeHill joehill at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 16 00:25:02 EDT 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:22:11 -0700
Daniel Lord got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> Quakes master servers are innocuous--they just help the game on other
> people's systems find you in their browser.
> Otherwise you are running a private game and people have to type in
> the IP address to connect--they won't see it in the Quake 3 browser.
> If you don't want strangers to be able to find your system, then make
> it private and publish the IP. the browser gives them status as well:
> map being played, slots empty, number of players etc.
> Be aware that ioquake3 does _not_ allow use of Punkbuster though
> which means cheaters might try but that also liberate you to make you
> own mods as well.

Oh, that'll be the day! LOL! I'm having problems even getting a server running
properly... :-\

Thanks for the info, I want it to be mainly private.

Funny thing, I just saw this in the server log:

Resolving authorize.quake3arena.com
authorize.quake3arena.com resolved to 192.246.40.56:27952

Wha?

Anyhow, anyone tried to connect yet?

right now it's 64.231.65.112, but I've set up a cron job to update the DNS
every hour, so freeyourmachine.org should get you there :-)

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046