[quake3] Re: Dedicated Server setup

Daniel Lord daniellord at mac.com
Tue Aug 15 17:22:11 EDT 2006

Quakes master servers are innocuous--they just help the game on other
people's systems find you in their browser.
Otherwise you are running a private game and people have to type in
the IP address to connect--they won't see it in the Quake 3 browser.
If you don't want strangers to be able to find your system, then make
it private and publish the IP. the browser gives them status as well:
map being played, slots empty, number of players etc.
Be aware that ioquake3 does _not_ allow use of Punkbuster though
which means cheaters might try but that also liberate you to make you
own mods as well.

On Aug 15, 2006, at 6:36, JoeHill wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:06:12 +0100
> Tim Angus got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:
>
>> No, it's just that icculus.org quake 3 is a STUPID NAME.
>
> Pretty literal, but that's *nix fer ya!
>
>> To answer your question, are you sure your forwarding UDP 27960
>> and not
>> TCP?...
>>
>> zebop:/home/tma# nmap -P0 -sU freeyourmachine.org -p 27960
>>
>> Starting nmap 3.93 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-08-15
>> 09:04 BST
>> Interesting ports on 64.231.112.182:
>> PORT      STATE         SERVICE
>> 27960/udp open|filtered quake3
>>
>> Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 12.153 seconds
>>
>> ...meh maybe you are.
>
> D'oh! No, you were right, I forgot to change it to UDP on the
> firewall.
>
> Nice use of nmap, though :) Thanks very much.
>
> I'm not sure I want to have it listed by the master server, though.
> Do I need
> to do that in order for people to connect from the outside?
>
> --
> JoeHill / RLU #282046
> ///////////////////////////
> "People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government
> should be
> afraid of the People." -- V.

Daniel Lord
daniellord at mac.com
---
"You will never regret getting up too early,
and you'll always regret getting up too late,
but sometimes you may regret giving up too late."
                           -- Mountaineer's Adage