-fomit-frame-pointer...

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Thu Dec 1 06:59:39 EST 2005

zakk, thanks for sending the crash reports I requested, but...

...we have a problem in that release builds have the frame pointer
omitted, so the backtraces I requested are useless (it will say "Thread
0 crashed" but not actually give you thread 0's backtrace). Is there any
objection to me removing this from the optimized build's CFLAGS? I'm not
certain that this gives any significant speed boost, and if it does, I'm
not certain it outweighs the ability to debug other people's problems.

It might also be nice if all platforms included -g in _all_ builds,
debug or otherwise. We can explicitly strip the debug symbols from the
binaries before putting them into an installer, but since most people
building on their own won't bother to do so, it will make crashes in the
field on unknown builds easier to identify. I had added this to the
Linux part of the Makefile, but it got removed because I used -gfull
(which apparently is an Apple thing)...can we get this back in there as
just -g?

Thanks,
--ryan.