[quake3] -fomit-frame-pointer...

Ian Kumlien pomac at vapor.com
Thu Dec 1 07:40:47 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 06:59 -0500, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> zakk, thanks for sending the crash reports I requested, but...
>
> ...we have a problem in that release builds have the frame pointer
> omitted, so the backtraces I requested are useless (it will say "Thread
> 0 crashed" but not actually give you thread 0's backtrace). Is there any
> objection to me removing this from the optimized build's CFLAGS? I'm not
> certain that this gives any significant speed boost, and if it does, I'm
> not certain it outweighs the ability to debug other people's problems.

I don't think there is a actual performance gain on any machine (except
for the 'one more register to play with' part, so disabling it sounds
like a good idea but..)

> It might also be nice if all platforms included -g in _all_ builds,
> debug or otherwise. We can explicitly strip the debug symbols from the
> binaries before putting them into an installer, but since most people
> building on their own won't bother to do so, it will make crashes in the
> field on unknown builds easier to identify. I had added this to the
> Linux part of the Makefile, but it got removed because I used -gfull
> (which apparently is an Apple thing)...can we get this back in there as
> just -g?

Problem with this is that release builds are compiled with optimization
and i will be very impressed if you can take a optimized binarys
backtrace and find the bug =).

It would be better if someone made a nice "bug report howto" and put it
somewhere in there...

(oh, and -ggdb, enables more, should work on all platforms =))

--
Ian Kumlien <pomac () vapor ! com> -- http://pomac.netswarm.net