[q2x] Small update

Nick Trout nick at rockstarvancouver.com
Sun Nov 2 16:56:28 EST 2003

> After Nick guilted me into looking at the codebase again, I checked in
> some minor fixes for a few crash bugs.

The old Vulcan mind-melt, with cheese...

> Adding a client game facility is going to be a pretty major
> architectural restructuring, which I don't want to take lightly.  I
> really need to sit down and document the client flow.

Ooo docs, yes please.

> In Quake 2 there was basically a monolithic "client", which did both
> generic client stuff (interfacing to graphics, sound, network, etc.)
> and game specific stuff (client side prediction and effects).  In Q3
> this got split into two separate areas.

Could we make the naming a little more intuitive? You have a qcommon and
qshared, one is common game components and one is common code. The names
seem interchangeable to me so it gets a little confusing. E.g. could be
gamecommon and enginecommon? Also, client game is clgame, but server is
just game. Shouldn't it be svgame? It may lead to people putting stuff
in the wrong library in future.

> I'd LIKE to split this up as well, since it makes mod-making even
> easier since you can add client side mod-specific effects.
>
> I've got that like 25% migrated, but it's not even in a separate DLL
> at this point and there's still a shit load of cross-contamination,
> but fixing it any further somewhat commits to some architectural
> decisions that I'm not quite comfortable making at this time.
>
> In the meantime, everything should mostly work.

I've got latest CVS and I can't load anything! I'm using a Q2 demo for
resources, and the exe for that runs fine on its own. I no longer get
the wrong client/server version number errors, but I do get errors when
the client requests a file but the server can't find it (I think this is
what happens). Upgrading Physfs to v1.9 may help, otherwise has anyone
else encountered this problem?

Nick