[pyddr-discuss] catalan patch

Pavel N. Krivitsky pavel at krivitsky.name
Fri Jul 11 15:13:19 EDT 2008

Carles,

> I send the last patch (I think that I didn't send it before). I did it one month ago aprox.

I apologize for my lack of response --- I've been rendered slightly
homeless by a fire (nobody was hurt, but the building had to be
repaired).

> As usually, it includes the catalan .po file and the patch to add i18n
> to pydance.

I will test it over the weekend. I think we are almost there. One thing
I've been trying to figure out is the encodings issue --- as far as I
can tell, we need to convert among three of them:

1) .po files can be anything, but a file contains encoding information
2) pygame wants UTF-8
3) console wants an encoding sometimes specified in an environment
variable, but defaulting to ASCII

It doesn't look like gettext automates much of this.

I could be wrong about this. (In fact, I hope that I am.)

> Actually now I don't remember the building details but we discussed in
> the past.

Well, they worked the last time, so we'll figure something out.

> This catalan translation:
> a) doesn't break the English one :-) (if it do, tell me of course)
>
> b) it's 99% complete. There is one thing missing but it's difficult to
> fix, we (I) can do on next months.
>
> I would like to commit this to subversion. If we break something we can
> rollback :-) I have a Jabber account (same than my email address), feel
> free to add me to discuss something in real time aobut the building
> system (as I said, we discussed here and was working fine but who
> knows...).
>
> I think that soon they will start to freeze for Debian Lenny, it would
> be fine to have the catalan version in Debian Lenny.

Good idea. Though, all we can do is put out the next release. (I am not
the Debian package maintainer, so I can't say for sure.)

> Do you have some time estimation? (I have been doing things with this
> patch and Pydance for months, I would like to finish :-D or to fix other
> Pydance things*)

I will try to do it over this weekend.

                      Pavel