[pyddr-discuss] catalan patch

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Sat Jul 19 19:27:47 EDT 2008

Hello Pavel,

On Jul/11/2008, Pavel N. Krivitsky wrote:

> > I send the last patch (I think that I didn't send it before). I did
> > it one month ago aprox.
>
> I apologize for my lack of response --- I've been rendered slightly
> homeless by a fire (nobody was hurt, but the building had to be
> repaired).

Wow good luck!

I'm happy that nobody was hurt, good luck with the reparations :-s

> > As usually, it includes the catalan .po file and the patch to add i18n
> > to pydance.
>
> I will test it over the weekend. I think we are almost there. One thing

did you do something finally? (actually this is the current weekend, and
maybe in your timezone is saturday morning and not night like here now)

> I've been trying to figure out is the encodings issue --- as far as I
> can tell, we need to convert among three of them:
>
> 1) .po files can be anything, but a file contains encoding information

correct, information on the headers from the .PO file

> 2) pygame wants UTF-8

yes

> 3) console wants an encoding sometimes specified in an environment
> variable, but defaulting to ASCII

yes, but _now_ I'm not very worried about the console.

If we see something really bad I can do a wrapper of _() function (or
overload the _() function, etc.) and process the strings before print to
console, etc.

The worst thing is that some accent appears incorrectly, if I correctly
remember. Better than no accents. And even more: maybe if the user set
ups the console as UTF-8 (possible in Konsole, for example) works fine.
Don't know now.

> > Actually now I don't remember the building details but we discussed in
> > the past.
>
> Well, they worked the last time, so we'll figure something out.

do you need help to make it to work again?

> > This catalan translation:
> > a) doesn't break the English one :-) (if it do, tell me of course)
> >
> > b) it's 99% complete. There is one thing missing but it's difficult to
> > fix, we (I) can do on next months.
> >
> > I would like to commit this to subversion. If we break something we can
> > rollback :-) I have a Jabber account (same than my email address), feel
> > free to add me to discuss something in real time aobut the building
> > system (as I said, we discussed here and was working fine but who
> > knows...).
> >
> > I think that soon they will start to freeze for Debian Lenny, it would
> > be fine to have the catalan version in Debian Lenny.
>
> Good idea. Though, all we can do is put out the next release. (I am not
> the Debian package maintainer, so I can't say for sure.)

In short way: if we release "soon" the Debian mantainer maybe will have
time to upload the new package for the new distribution (it will go to
the frozen state in some weeks/months, I don't know). If we release the
new pygame later then will not go to the new Debian.

> > Do you have some time estimation? (I have been doing things with this
> > patch and Pydance for months, I would like to finish :-D or to fix other
> > Pydance things*)
>
> I will try to do it over this weekend.

some months ago I sent some detailed instructions about how to
"compile". Should be the same now :-)

My plan for nexts days: I will have some time for answer mails (like
usually) and work for pydance, and this is a priority for me now :-)

Thanks,

--
Carles Pina i Estany		GPG id: 0x8CBDAE64
	http://pinux.info	Manresa - Barcelona