[pyddr-devel] binary banners

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Thu May 15 18:55:47 EDT 2008

hi Pavel and list,

I do a fast and short answer (it's late, but I don't want to leave it
for tomorrow)

On May/14/2008, Pavel N. Krivitsky wrote:

> My apologies for taking this long. First of all, thanks for the patch
> --- it works and translates, all without having to install as root.

Last two weeks, I wanted to send to you a new version. We (me
programming, some friends translating and improving the strings) has
been working quite hard and it's even better than before.

> Before committing, we need to do a few things:
>
> 1) There are cases where the Catalan string is longer than the English
> string, and does not fit into the allotted space. We need to either
> shorten the translated strings, increase the amount of space, or change
> the font size. (If we do the latter, some pages would have to have the
> font size adjusted for all the strings, not just the ones that are too
> long.)

I think that, in my current version, this is fixed.

> Ideally, this should be done "automagically" depending on the language
> and font theme used.

I know, but I would like that we commit as soon as possible this new and
basic version to the SVN and then we keep working. I think that, in the
current state, the catalan translation is fine (my current state, not
last patched sent it here some months ago).

Anyway, some other programs has this problem too: the translations needs
to be "short" as English. It's a common problem, we can try to minimize
it but still will be always a problem, in some way.

> 2) Right now, the code for the "Ready? Go!" sprite shows English even
> when pydance is run with LANGUAGE=ca on my system. It looks like this is
> because locale.getdefaultlocale() is not affected by LANGUAGE
> environment variable.

I will check, in my system it works and I don't remember the details of
it.

> I don't know much about internationalization, but could it be a good
> idea to "internationalize" filenames? That is, rather than referring to
> os.path.join("images","ready.png"), refer
> to ???os.path.join("images",_("ready.png")), and then have ca.po a contain
>
> msgid "ready.png"
> msgstr "ready_ca.png"
>
> declaration to translate the filename?

Good idea, I will check this approach if current/my approach is not
working always.

> 3) Messages printed to the console appear to assume a certain character
> encoding used by the terminal (ISO-8859-15, I believe), so accented and
> cedilla characters don't get printed, although the graphical-mode
> pydance does not appear to be affected.

ok, no idea about it... I have problems with encodings and fonts in
other places :-(

> It would be nice if they adjusted. (I am not completely sure how to do
> it. I am guessing converting the strings to unicode strings (using the
> encoding of the .po file) and just using "print" to print them might do
> it automagically.)

I think that print should work, but I have problems with replaces or
other functions. By the moment I'm avoiding this problems encoding to
ISO-8859-15, etc. and works fine but I may loose some accents :-(

> 4) Thanks for catching the error in the Makefile. There is, however, a
> line in Makefile.posix, "LOCALESDIR=/usr/share/locale". I think this
> needs to be "LOCALESDIR ?= /share/locale" and then, later, should be
> referred to as $(DESTDIR)$(PREFIX)$(LOCALESDIR). (I.e. if pydance gets
> installed into /usr/local, the locale should be installed
> to /usr/local/share/locale . Is this correct?

I think that you are correct.

My idea: I will send, in a few days, a new version that should cover
everything: internationalization, mistaked that you pointed, catalan
translation. Other people from my LUG is preparing a Dj Voices but this
will take weeks to finish :-)
I was a bit worried because you was not answering, I guess that you was
just busy. I hope to move it forward in one week maximum... we will see
:-)

Thanks!

--
Carles Pina i Estany		GPG id: 0x8CBDAE64
	http://pinux.info	Manresa - Barcelona