[pyddr-devel] binary banners

Pavel N. Krivitsky pavel at krivitsky.name
Thu May 15 02:35:57 EDT 2008

Hello, Carles,

My apologies for taking this long. First of all, thanks for the patch
--- it works and translates, all without having to install as root.
Before committing, we need to do a few things:

1) There are cases where the Catalan string is longer than the English
string, and does not fit into the allotted space. We need to either
shorten the translated strings, increase the amount of space, or change
the font size. (If we do the latter, some pages would have to have the
font size adjusted for all the strings, not just the ones that are too
long.)

Ideally, this should be done "automagically" depending on the language
and font theme used.

2) Right now, the code for the "Ready? Go!" sprite shows English even
when pydance is run with LANGUAGE=ca on my system. It looks like this is
because locale.getdefaultlocale() is not affected by LANGUAGE
environment variable.

I don't know much about internationalization, but could it be a good
idea to "internationalize" filenames? That is, rather than referring to
os.path.join("images","ready.png"), refer
to os.path.join("images",_("ready.png")), and then have ca.po a contain

msgid "ready.png"
msgstr "ready_ca.png"

declaration to translate the filename?

3) Messages printed to the console appear to assume a certain character
encoding used by the terminal (ISO-8859-15, I believe), so accented and
cedilla characters don't get printed, although the graphical-mode
pydance does not appear to be affected.

It would be nice if they adjusted. (I am not completely sure how to do
it. I am guessing converting the strings to unicode strings (using the
encoding of the .po file) and just using "print" to print them might do
it automagically.)

4) Thanks for catching the error in the Makefile. There is, however, a
line in Makefile.posix, "LOCALESDIR=/usr/share/locale". I think this
needs to be "LOCALESDIR ?= /share/locale" and then, later, should be
referred to as $(DESTDIR)$(PREFIX)$(LOCALESDIR). (I.e. if pydance gets
installed into /usr/local, the locale should be installed
to /usr/local/share/locale . Is this correct?

                    Best,
                    Pavel