[pyddr-devel] binary banners

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Sun May 18 07:47:36 EDT 2008

Hello again,

On May/14/2008, Pavel N. Krivitsky wrote:

> 1) There are cases where the Catalan string is longer than the English
> string, and does not fit into the allotted space. We need to either
> shorten the translated strings, increase the amount of space, or change
> the font size. (If we do the latter, some pages would have to have the
> font size adjusted for all the strings, not just the ones that are too
> long.)
>
> Ideally, this should be done "automagically" depending on the language
> and font theme used.

I think that this problem shouldnn't happend in the attached version. I
also think that, in this first release, we can handle this problem
changing the catalan strings (translators are used to)

> 2) Right now, the code for the "Ready? Go!" sprite shows English even
> when pydance is run with LANGUAGE=ca on my system. It looks like this is
> because locale.getdefaultlocale() is not affected by LANGUAGE
> environment variable.
>
> I don't know much about internationalization, but could it be a good
> idea to "internationalize" filenames? That is, rather than referring to
> os.path.join("images","ready.png"), refer
> to ???os.path.join("images",_("ready.png")), and then have ca.po a contain
>
> msgid "ready.png"
> msgstr "ready_ca.png"
>
> declaration to translate the filename?

I have done in that way, looks a very good idea: all translation
functions will work in the same way, from now on.

> 3) Messages printed to the console appear to assume a certain character
> encoding used by the terminal (ISO-8859-15, I believe), so accented and
> cedilla characters don't get printed, although the graphical-mode
> pydance does not appear to be affected.
>
> It would be nice if they adjusted. (I am not completely sure how to do
> it. I am guessing converting the strings to unicode strings (using the
> encoding of the .po file) and just using "print" to print them might do
> it automagically.)

I have no idea about it, but in my xterm works fine. Sadly, non-English
people are used to handle with this problems. For example, in Konsole
sometimes people needs to select UTF-8 or ISO-8815-5, depending on the
font, console/Bash configuration, other systems, etc.

I also think to postpone it to see how it works. All mates who used
pydance in Catalan didn't have this problem.

> 4) Thanks for catching the error in the Makefile. There is, however, a
> line in Makefile.posix, "LOCALESDIR=/usr/share/locale". I think this
> needs to be "LOCALESDIR ?= /share/locale" and then, later, should be
> referred to as $(DESTDIR)$(PREFIX)$(LOCALESDIR). (I.e. if pydance gets
> installed into /usr/local, the locale should be installed
> to /usr/local/share/locale . Is this correct?

It seems that you are correct. I have changed it and also i18n.py who is
referring to these directories. I am not used to generate Makefiles :(

Patch is attached, with last internationalization and Catalan patch.

--
Carles Pina i Estany		GPG id: 0x8CBDAE64
	http://pinux.info	Manresa - Barcelona