[prey] CD Key problem

DusteD lists at dusted.dk
Tue Dec 9 05:05:58 EST 2008

Cory Jon Hollingsworth skrev:
> I was one of the people who after playing the Linux Prey demo eagerly
> purchase the Windows version of Prey before the commercial Linux version
> was released.
>
> I had thought that as long as I could install the Windows version of Prey
> with Wine I could then use the Windows installation to install the Linux
> version of Prey.  I've done this before with old ID games.  It worked
> alright except I now have a problem that I lack a CD key.  I think this is
> a side effect of me purchasing the Windows version of Prey from
> Direct2Drive.com who must have the CD Key hard coded into the installation
> file.  Now I have the Linux version of Prey installed but I cannot get
> past the CD key window.  I'd hate to buy Prey a second time.  Is there a
> way to extract the CD key from a Windows installation?
>
> Just a warning to those who are planning on purchasing Prey from a
> download store.  Make certain you have the CD key!

Thanks for the warning.

Now, I'm by no means tech support, since I don't even have the CD
version installed (still waiting for discs)
but did you specify |--from-install --media
'/path/to/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/prey/base'
as instructed by the installer page?
Also, is direct2drive.com the same as steam or something else? because
the installer page does not mention it being supported.

Best Regards
 Jimmy