[prey] CD Key problem

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Dec 8 22:25:04 EST 2008

Cory Jon Hollingsworth escribió:
> I was one of the people who after playing the Linux Prey demo eagerly
> purchase the Windows version of Prey before the commercial Linux version
> was released.
>
> I had thought that as long as I could install the Windows version of Prey
> with Wine I could then use the Windows installation to install the Linux
> version of Prey.  I've done this before with old ID games.  It worked
> alright except I now have a problem that I lack a CD key.  I think this is
> a side effect of me purchasing the Windows version of Prey from
> Direct2Drive.com who must have the CD Key hard coded into the installation
> file.  Now I have the Linux version of Prey installed but I cannot get
> past the CD key window.  I'd hate to buy Prey a second time.  Is there a
> way to extract the CD key from a Windows installation?
>
> Just a warning to those who are planning on purchasing Prey from a
> download store.  Make certain you have the CD key!

I was this [ ] close to buy it off Steam, and would probably run into
the same problem. I actually pre-ordered my copy off TuxGames on Nov.
03. I don't care they'll have it in stock until January (sucks, but at
least they'll have it) and then a bit longer to get it on my door. I
hope you find a way to see/check the CD Key of that Windows install (I
might suggest you to check the Windows' [wine] registry, but most likely
they coded it there in hex if not to avoid, make it harder to extract).

Good luck.