CD Key problem

Cory Jon Hollingsworth cory at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 8 20:37:49 EST 2008

I was one of the people who after playing the Linux Prey demo eagerly
purchase the Windows version of Prey before the commercial Linux version
was released.

I had thought that as long as I could install the Windows version of Prey
with Wine I could then use the Windows installation to install the Linux
version of Prey.  I've done this before with old ID games.  It worked
alright except I now have a problem that I lack a CD key.  I think this is
a side effect of me purchasing the Windows version of Prey from
Direct2Drive.com who must have the CD Key hard coded into the installation
file.  Now I have the Linux version of Prey installed but I cannot get
past the CD key window.  I'd hate to buy Prey a second time.  Is there a
way to extract the CD key from a Windows installation?

Just a warning to those who are planning on purchasing Prey from a
download store.  Make certain you have the CD key!