[postal2mac] First impressions

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Sun May 23 06:54:02 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 03:00, Ted Stalcup wrote:
> OK...Few things, not necessarily bugs and in no particular order:
>
> 1.  the game runs fine on a 1.33Ghz Powerbook G4 but I did hook up a
> mouse to make it a lot easier, messed around with my Ishock gamepad for
> a while and gave up because it stuck me in forward motion.  I doubt its
> the game, probably resolvable using the Ishock controller app.  The
> game, as expected, does make the Aibook pretty hot, the freeware
> Temperature Monitor app. shows the temp floating between 140F and
> 144.5F which is the fan kick on for this model.
>
> 2.  the game probably would run on my B&W with its 600Mhz G4 and 32MB
> Radeon but the current beta seems to lack medium and low textures so
> you play in a white/grey shaded world.  The animation minus texture
> maps works fine on the old beast.

That's strange. A Radeon, what? 7500?

The G4 is, I assume, an after-market CPU, right?

> 3.  Installer takes forever

Unavoidable. bzip2 compression is slow, but it's the only way I could
wedge the whole thing onto a 700mb disc.

If some discussions go as planned, we might have to fit a whole lot more
on there, too, so it might be a dual-disc deal in the long run, which
means I can relax the compression and speed it up. We'll see what
happens.

> 4.  The things in the sewers underneath the library are damn near
> invincible, close range pistol and shotgun hits to no avail..should
> have made that jump I guess...but then there seems to be more to
> explore down there so there has to be some way to kill the
> things...which look like skinned dogs.
>
> 5.  What the heck do you do in the Library anyway...besides try and
> fail to resist the temptation to sneak up behind Bin Laden in the
> reading room with a shotgun (he has the assault rifle so don't miss).
> I have the library book but there is nothing readily apparent to DO
> with it.

Back corner of the first floor has a book drop off. When you come into
the library and are facing the protesters with your back to the door, go
up the staircase to your left, and follow the wall.

> 6.  On the first day, when the protesters storm RWS, if you
> "accidentally" shoot up the RWS staff...it doesn't seem to bother them
> much, they never return fire.

They generally won't shoot you. RWS staff fights with you in firefights
(even after you're fired and not in the protestor's fight at the RWS
offices).

> 7.  Car windows, video games, televisions...oddly invincible...not sure
> whether its the engine or whether there just aren't a lot of
> destructible items but this is one tough environment.

By design. Cars will blow up if you shoot them, but not if you hit them
with a shovel.

> 8.  The shovel is too weak, you hit a guy with a shovel 2-3 times, he's
> going down, let alone 5-6 times.

It varies. Sometimes you can remove a head in one hit.

> 9.  Maybe its me but the "police meter" seems pretty lenient, you can
> lay waste to a dozen people, half of them cops, hide in a corner for
> about 5 minutes and then walk out like nothing happened...perhaps if
> you spent more time on the run?

Some places are easier to get away from the cops than others. They don't
show up when you commit a crime; you have to do something when they are
watching, then it spirals out of control.

And yes, they forget easily. The newspaper jokes about that on Tuesday
("police baffled by sudden increase in murder rate since yesterday").

> 10.  When cremating an insolent jerk who you had to terminate because
> he wouldn't sign your petition....step back after pouring the gasoline
> and before you throw a match...although that nice lady did offer to get
> me a bucket of water.

True that, I set myself on fire accidentally more than I do it to other
people.  :)

I found you can grab a cat, light a puddle of gasoline, and throw the
cat into it. It tends to set everyone in the area on fire with a
quickness.

--ryan.